Application and Judging
- Update Applications
- 18-Oct-2011 Midnight to 09-Dec-2012 01:59 PM
- 09-Dec-2012 02:00 PM to 20-Dec-2012 Noon
Semi-finalist Business Plan Review
Business plans are due no later than January 4 at midnight U.S. Central Time. Finalists will be announced on February 2, 2012.
- Update Applications
- 20-Dec-2012 12:30 PM to 16-Jan-2013 09:59 PM
- 16-Jan-2013 10:01 PM to 23-Jan-2013 09:59 PM
Times are in CDT (-0500)
AUTM 2012 Venture Forum
Welcome, AUTM Venture Forum participants!
If you have not logged in before, please click the bright orange REGISTER button and follow the instructions. If you have already registered, please log in using your e-mail address and password.
About the AUTM Venture Forum
New company creation and development has been an integral component of academic technology commercialization for decades. AUTM will celebrate this mission-critical function through the AUTM Venture Forum at the 2012 Annual Meeting. The Venture Forum will include a Venture Pitch Competition, where academic-affiliated startup companies pitch their business opportunity to a panel of seasoned venture investors for a cash prize and bragging rights. The event will provide valuable experience and feedback to our startup finalists, and will be educational for the AUTM attendees who will observe firsthand the most effective means of communicating with our venture partners. We hope you will join in by applying to be part of our Venture Pitch Competition.
Criteria for eligibility:
1. The startup must be a legally existing company and have a license or option-to-license with a research institution (namely a university, research hospital, research institute, government laboratory), and the obligated technology must comprise an integral part of the startup’s business focus. Note: There is no territorial limitation on the company’s location.
2. The startup does not have to have received prior professional investment, but must be actively seeking funding. Note: startups that have already received (i) a Series A round, (ii) in excess of $2M in private investments, or (iii) significant sales revenue in 2011 or before are too advanced and not eligible for this competition.
3. The startup must have a manager/executive giving the venture pitch that is not an inventor-scientist.
Each finalist will receive:
1. Reimbursement from AUTM of up to $1,000 for travel expense, including hotel costs at the Anaheim Marriott.
2. A complimentary registration for the AUTM Annual Meeting (a $935 value), and complimentary use of AUTM’s partnering software, Collaborate, at the Annual Meeting.
3. The opportunity to present to an esteemed panel of venture investors, and obtain critical and constructive feedback from the panel.
4. The opportunity to discuss their business and get feedback from partners in the venture community.
The first place startup company will receive a $10,000 cash prize. The winner will be announced during the AUTM Annual Meeting, and via press release following the conference.
Evaluation Process and Key Deadlines
1. Executive summaries will be reviewed by the AUTM Venture Review Committee, who will select up to eight semi-finalists.
2. Semi-finalists will be rquired to submit a final business plan by Friday, December 23.
3. The semi-finalists will be reviewed by the VC Forum Panel, and four finalists will be invited to present their plans at the AUTM Annual Meeting. The panel may solicit additional information relating to the finalists prior to the presentation.
4. Each finalist will have 12 minutes to present their plan to the panel, and will have up to 10 minutes to address any questions that the panel may have. Each presentation will be closely timed, and cannot exceed 20 minutes total. The panel will thereafter determine a first place winner, which will be announced at the AUTM Closing Reception, and via press release at the conclusion of the meeting.
Deadline for submission: Thursday, December 1, 2011 (Closed)
Semi-finalists announced: Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Semi-finalist business plans due: Monday, January 9, 2012 (Extended)
Finalists announced: Wednesday, February 2, 2012
Venture Pitch Competition: Friday, March 16, 2012